I've always been drawn to the beautiful color of red radicchio, however ended up cooking it more often than not due to its natural bitterness. I recently discovered a very valuable trick: soaking the leaves in cold water for 30 minutes prior to using lessens the bitterness dramatically. It forms the basis of this "Valentine's salad, which makes a colorful (and delicious) addition to your table. It has quickly become one of my favorites!
Valentine's Day Radicchio Salad
1 small head red radicchio (approximately ½ lb)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 Cara Cara orange
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS sugar
- Core the radicchio and discard any browned outer leaves. Cut out the core from the bottom and peel off the leaves one by one.
- Cut the leaves into thin strips-sized pieces and place in a large bowl with cold water.
- Soak in water for at least 30 minutes
- Drain, dry and place in bowl
- “Supreme” the orange by slicing off the peel and pith, then slicing the orange sections out between the membranes. Cut the sections into bite-sized pieces and add to salad.
- Add cranberries and goat cheese to salad
- Whisk together extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sugar and pour over salad.
- Mix gently and serve